- Tell us a bit about yourself and what you do?
- Allyson (A): I am a graphic designer and illustrator based in Singapore.
I like to combine traditional painting, mixed media and collage with contemporary techniques. This helps me in creating a unique and imaginative visual language.
I like to challenge and not limit myself to a specific project. I take on a variety of work and welcome individual requests for bespoke artwork, children’s picture books and commercial illustrations. It is fun for me!
- Your illustrations seem to have a watercolour influence to them as well. Is there a reason/story as to why you’re inclined towards watercolour?
A: When I was a teenager, I met an art teacher and she taught me watercolor for almost a year. She realized that I like to paint, so she always encouraged me and helped me to send my works to participate in different types of competitions. I won some awards and this made me more confident and driven to create better works.
- We really like your illustrations on ‘We Deserve To Be Blessed’. Tell us a bit about that?
- A: Everyone knows the importance of loving oneself but due to various circumstances, we tend to forget the need to appreciate who we are. This project highlights the importance of self-esteem for ladies and inspires them to become a better woman. This is a reflective and empowerment project for the ladies who are facing such situation.
- You also made a publication about it, in both Chinese and English. Why so?
- A: The essence of language plays a big part in the message I wanted to convey to my target audiences. That is why I kept 2 languages, keeping the essence of message I wanted to convey and also catering to a larger group of audience.
- What’s your process of doing watercolour illustrations?
- A: Not much of a process actually, just start painting! I do like to observe and imagine though. When inspiration strikes, I will write them down and paint it when I am free.
- What’s your style in three words?
- A: Simple, tranquil and therapeutic.
- Are there any tips you have for people interested in illustrating a water coloured piece?
- A: Be patient and never stop practicing. You can paint anytime and sometimes you don’t even need a reason to paint. Just paint what you like, as it is part of practicing. Also, try to use thicker watercolour paper and it will be easier for you to paint!
- Lastly, a takeaway message for readers?
- A: A tough journey doesn’t last, tough people do (:
Read on for more about Allyson!
24 | Virgo
Creative Approach // I don’t really have a creative approach. But I always like to share my works and sometimes you will get interesting feedback!
Fact // I like to make new friends! Just come and know me 🙂
Message // Be humble and always be prepared to start.
FUSSY // My bed. If I just come back, I must shower before I lie down on the bed. Also, I won’t put anything from outside on the bed. My bed must be clean!